- Town Departments
- Parks & Recreation
- Town Beaches & Parking Lots
Town Beaches & Parking Lots
Current Town of Old Lyme Beach Parking Passes is required to park seasonally. The pass must hang in your rearview mirror. Lifeguards on duty 7 days per week June 16 through September 3, 10 am to 5 pm. Staffing could be full-time earlier, depending on the weather and the crowds.
Please note at White Sand Beach: The Town Beach is located between the two beach sections of the White Sand Beach Association. These two beach areas are private and for the exclusive use of White Sand Beach Association members only. Old Lyme Town Residents' parking is limited to the Town Parking Lot only. Please respect the Association's rules and regulations.
White Sand Beach Town Beach / Parking Lot & Hains Park Rules
- The Beach/Park and Parking Lots close at 9 pm
- Park within the lined spaces at White Sand Beach
- Current beach parking passes are required
- No alcohol
- No littering
- No campfires or grilling
- No Swim floats and rafts
- No Fireworks
- Please be respectful of all beachgoers and their space
Sound View Beach America’s First Public Beach, established in 1892, is a 100-foot section of public beach, located at the end of Hartford and Swan Avenues.
Town Parking Lot
- Open 9 am closed 8 pm
- Parking fees charged from 9 am to 7:30 pm in the town lot
- Entrance Hartford Avenue. Exit onto Portland Avenue
Town Lot Configuration
- Three 30-minute business spaces
- Seven spaces reserved for Old Lyme Beach parking pass
- Two handicap-paid spaces
- 71 paid spaces
Street Parking on Hartford Avenue
- Parking fees charged from 9 am to 6 pm street parking
- 15 Paid spaces for full-size cars/motorcycles/golf carts
- Five paid “Golf Cart” only spaces
- Eight, 30-minute business spaces - open and not reserved for any specific business identified with street markings and yellow curb
- Two 15-minute business spaces (reserved for and monitored by Carousel shop) identified with street markings and yellow curb
- Vehicles with Old Lyme beach parking pass may use any paid street space
Parking Fees for Town Parking Lot and Hartford Avenue
- Weekend and Holiday $10 per 2-hour block of time.
- Weekdays $6.00 per 2-hour block of time
- Parking fees are plus CT sales tax of 6.35% to be added when a kiosk ticket is purchased
- Parking Kiosks accept Master Card and Visa ONLY – NO Cash accepted
Privately owned and permitted parking lots are also located:
- 3 on Swan Avenue
- 3 on Portland Avenue
- 1 on Pond Road
Their parking fees are determined by the operator. Private parking lot owners should notify their customers when the beach is at capacity and closed to avoid any misunderstandings.
One vehicle per space - Motorcycle, Car, or Golf Cart. Street parking on any street other than designated spaces on Hartford Avenue is prohibited and will result in a ticket or tow.
Parking regulations are strictly enforced. Illegal parking will result in ticketing and towing at the owner’s expense.
Beach Parking Pass
Residents may obtain a Beach Parking Pass through the town of Old Lyme website.
Golf Carts must be registered with the Sound View Commission, Town of Old Lyme and are subject to special use regulations.
- The beach is open from 9 am to 7 pm - Police/Rangers will strictly enforce the beach closing time
- No lifeguard on duty - swim at your own risk
Prohibited Items / Activities
- Littering - Alcoholic beverages - Pets - Motorized vehicles - Glass containers
- Ball playing - Open fires/grills - Watercraft tied to any buoy line - Fireworks
- Loitering - Camping, sleeping on beach after dark
- All containers may be subject to inspection
- Cooler size restriction - No coolers larger than 5 quarts allowed on the beach
- “Stand-up paddle boards (SUP) are prohibited within the designated swim areas per order of the Selectmen”
Traffic & Beach Capacity Closures
The gates at Swan and Portland Avenues will be closed to entry on high-traffic days - entry to Sound View will be via Hartford Avenue.
When the beach reaches capacity, signage will be placed at Hartford Ave and Shore Road and at Hartford and Bocce “Beach at capacity - closed, Business and resident traffic only” or similar.
Prohibited Vehicles (Swan, Hartford, Portland Avenues)
- Livery with capacity 10 or more
- Class “A” RVs
- Bus Conversion RVs
- First Offense: $500 Fine
Beach parking is not allowed at Cross Lane Park and is posted as such. Violators will be ticketed and/or towed. Parking space is limited and is for:
- Basketball and Tennis Courts use
- Little League Baseball and Softball practice or games
- Emergency vehicles and employees
- General park activities
Thank you for your cooperation.