Forms of Proof
Two forms of proof are required to make any type of adjustment:
- Required - The plate must be cancelled through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):
- Plates can be cancelled or reported as lost or stolen through the DMV online services
- If we are unable to verify the cancelled registration online you must provide us with a receipt
- In addition to item 1, choose any one of the following:
- Sold - Copy of the bill of sale or copy of the transfer of title.
- Out-of-State Registration - Proof of residency and a copy of the registration form showing the date the vehicle was registered outside of the state of Connecticut.
- Stolen Vehicle - Statement from the insurance company indicating that the vehicle was stolen and not recovered; the owner must file a lost or stolen plate form with the DMV.
- Confiscated - Copy of broken promise agreement
- Junked - A titled receipt from the junkyard
- Donated - Letter from Charitable Organization accepting the gift of a vehicle
- Total Loss - Insurance statement declaring loss
- Purchase Agreement Showing Trade-In - Traded vehicle description or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) must be included on the document
Documents may be emailed to the Assessor's Office.
Questions? Contact the Assessor’s Office at 860-434-1605, ext. 219 or ext. 218.