Motor Vehicle Adjustments

Forms of Proof

Two forms of proof are required to make any type of adjustment:

  1. Required - The plate must be cancelled through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):
    • Plates can be cancelled or reported as lost or stolen through the DMV online services
    • If we are unable to verify the cancelled registration online you must provide us with a receipt
  2. In addition to item 1, choose any one of the following:
    1. Sold - Copy of the bill of sale or copy of the transfer of title.
    2. Out-of-State Registration - Proof of residency and a copy of the registration form showing the date the vehicle was registered outside of the state of Connecticut.
    3. Stolen Vehicle - Statement from the insurance company indicating that the vehicle was stolen and not recovered; the owner must file a lost or stolen plate form with the DMV.
    4. Confiscated - Copy of broken promise agreement
    5. Junked - A titled receipt from the junkyard
    6. Donated - Letter from Charitable Organization accepting the gift of a vehicle
    7. Total Loss - Insurance statement declaring loss
    8. Purchase Agreement Showing Trade-In - Traded vehicle description or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) must be included on the document

Documents may be emailed to the Assessor's Office.

Contact Us

Questions? Contact the Assessor’s Office at 860-434-1605, ext. 219 or ext. 218.