Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission Minutes - 11/12/2019

Meeting date: 
Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Meeting Minutes

The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission

November 12, 2019 Regular Meeting

ATTENDANCE

 

Regular Members Present: Robert Falaguerra, George Finley, Bill Harris, Teri Lewis (alternate), John MacDonald, Mike Magee, Jeff Meinke, Harry Plaut (ex-officio), Steven Ross

 

Absent: Mark Beatty, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Tom Meyer, Richard Shriver (alternate)

 

Guests:  Michael Barnes


Chairman Steven Ross called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM. 

 

Teri Lewis was seated for Tom Meyer.

 

 

REPORTS

a.         Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes

John MacDonald moved to accept the minutes of Meeting October 8, 2019, and Jeff Meinke seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

 

b.         Correspondence

DEEP permit issued for the construction of a living shoreline, Michael Francis, 81 Connecticut Road
Steven Ross stated that the final approval was received a couple of days ago from the DEEP for the construction of a living shoreline, Michael Francis (81 Connecticut Road, Old Lyme)

 

Referral from Zoning Commission RE: Petition to amend section 4.3 Tidal Wetlands Protection.  Need to reply to this referral. To be discussed later in this Agenda.

c.         Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for October 2019

Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for October 2019.  Beginning Balance:  $28,226.81, Interest / Dividends: $25.19, Receipts: $25, Disbursements: $0, Ending Balance: $28,277. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

 

d.         Matters Relevant to the HMC at the State Level
Steven Ross reported that he had been in contact with Joe Salvatore at the CT Port Authority.  Joe will notify Steven when applications for SHIP 3 Grants may be submitted.  This application would be in regards to the Lt. River Water Access project design and planning.

 

e.         Mooring Permit and Inspection Report
Tom Meyer was absent and no report was made. Steven Ross stated that Tom will be sending out notices very soon to existing mooring permit holders reminding them that they will be required to pull their moorings for inspection this coming year.
 

 

APPLICATIONS FOR DOCKS

There were no new dock applications.

An application from the DEEP applying to the DEEP to dredge the boat basin on LI Sound and replace docks was approved by the DEEP and the Commission reviewed the permit.  It does not include replacing the public docks which were destroyed years ago.

 

 

CURRENT BUSINESS

a.         Member Appointments

There is an opening for one Alternate Member.

b.         Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Mike Magee reported that everything at Pilgrim Landing was in good shape.  The Town is replacing storm drains on the road leading to the landing. 

 

c.         Dinghy Dock – George Finley and Steven Ross
George Finley reported that he had purchased some boards to make minor repairs on the dock and this will be done next Spring.

d.         Public Access Site – West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road

Status of receiving funds from CT Port Authority for the design and permitting of Water Access Project

Next step will be to apply for SHIP grant when SHIP 3 application period begins.
Funds previously allocated for the dredging project may not be used.

 

e.         Permit issuance and inspection report record keeping – Tom Meyer
Steven Ross reported that there were 146 permits received for the 2019 season.

 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS

a.         Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut reported that he had received one mooring permit for a sailboat that had moored without a permit.  This person is not a Town resident.  There was a discussion about having tiered mooring permit fees for Town residents and out-of-towners.  This will be on next month’s agenda.

 

Harry Plaut reported that he had not received any fine payments from Garvin yet and will contact him again.  Harry did find some moorings that had been permitted but with no stickers on them.  He also pulled three unpermitted moorings at Point O’Woods. They had violation stickers on them for over a month before he pulled them.

 

Harry Plaut retrieved several runaway swim floats in Point O’Woods and to date no person has claimed them. 
 

b.         Report from Kayak Launching and Storage Committee – Mike Magee

Mike Magee reported that there was nothing new to report.  This Committee should wind up business in the Spring with the addition of two more new kayak racks (one at Hains Park and one at the Town Landing at Smith Neck Road.)

c.         Referral from Zoning Commission RE: Petition to amend section 4.3 Tidal Wetlands Protection.  Need to reply to this referral.

There was a discussion.  George Finley moved to draft a letter to the Zoning Board from the HMC regarding the Amendment of Section 4.3 Tidal Wetlands Protection.  Robert Falaguerra seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.  Steven Ross will draft a letter and send to HMC members for review before it is sent to the Zoning Board.  The Zoning Board is in a meeting at this time and hopefully this item will be tabled or withdrawn.



N
EW BUSINESS
a.         Nominations of officers for 2020
There was a discussion regarding the format of election of officers for 2020 to take place at the December HMC meeting.  The present slate of officers agreed to serve another year.  Steven Ross (Chairman), John MacDonald (Vice-Chairman), Mike Magee (Secretary) and Bill Harris (Treasurer), with any other nominations to be presented during the December meeting when voting will be done.

 

b.         Deputy Harbor Master Recommendation

Steven Ross reported that Mike Mackey does not wish to continue on as the Deputy Harbor Master.  Robert Falaguerra stated that he would be willing to serve in the position.  Steven asked that if any other members wished to serve in the position to please contact him in the next couple of days.  The referral would be made to the Governor for an official appointment.

 

c.         Meeting dates for 2020
There was a discussion and this Commission will meet on the 2nd Tuesday of the following months: March, April, May, June, July, September, October, November and December.  Mary Ellen will pass this schedule along to the Town Hall.

 

d.         Purchase of Stickers for 2020

Steven Ross moved that the HMC approve the purchase of new mooring stickers in a different color for 2020 and that the Harbor Master and Tom Meyer have the authority to re-order those stickers each year.  George Finley seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

 

Teri Lewis will check with the DEEP as to the color on next year’s boat registration stickers and order them accordingly.  She will check with Tom Meyer before they are ordered.

           

 

PUBLIC COMMENT: None

 

 
EXECUTIVE SESSION: None

 

 

ADJOURMENT

Jeff Meinke moved, and Teri Lewis seconded, to adjourn the meeting at 8:15 PM. 

SO VOTED.

 

The next meeting of the HMC will be December 10, 2019. 

 

Submitted by,

 

 

Mary Ellen Garbarino (Clerk)