Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission Meeting Minutes 12/10/2019

Meeting date: 
Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Meeting Minutes

The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission

December 10, 2019 Regular Meeting

 

 

ATTENDANCE

 

Members Present: Mark Beatty, Robert Falaguerra, Bill Harris, Teri Lewis (alternate), John MacDonald, Mike Magee, Tom Meyer, Harry Plaut (ex-officio), Steven Ross

 

Absent: Mike Mackey (ex-officio), George Finley, Jeff Meinke, Richard Shriver (alternate)

 

Guests:  None


Chairman Steven Ross called the meeting to order at 7:01 PM. 

 

Teri Lewis was seated for Jeff Meinke.

 

 

REPORTS

a.         Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes

John MacDonald moved to accept the minutes of Meeting November 12, 2019, and Mike Magee seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

 

b.         Correspondence

There was no correspondence.

c.         Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for October 2019

Bill Harris did not have the treasurer’s report finished and will email it out to members in the very near future.

 

d.         Matters Relevant to the HMC at the State Level
Joe Salvatore at the CT Port Authority will notify Steven when applications for SHIP 3 Grants may be submitted.  This application would be in regards to the Lt. River Water Access project design and planning. There was a discussion of the lengthy article in the CT Examiner regarding the CT Port Authority hearings.  Author Cate Hewitt sent Steven Ross a list of the quasi agencies today of which he will email out to members tomorrow.  Steven instructed members to click on the checkbook level detail link in the list.  He remarked on what the CT Port Authority was spending taxpayer money on. 

 

 

APPLICATIONS FOR DOCKS

There were no new dock applications.

 

 

CURRENT BUSINESS

a.         Member Appointments

There is an opening for one Alternate Member.

b.         Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
There is nothing new to report.

 

c.         Dinghy Dock – George Finley and Steven Ross
The dock is presently on land for the winter.


d.         Public Access Site – West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road

Status of receiving funds from CT Port Authority for the design and permitting of Water Access Project

Next step will be to apply for SHIP grant when SHIP 3 application period begins.  

           

e.         Permit issuance and inspection report record keeping – Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer sent out an email message to all the permit holders that he had email addresses for, reminding them that this coming year will be an election year and an inspection of moorings will be required.  He will send out snail-mail to those he does not have email addresses for. Tom stated that the rest of this month he will spend time updating the website and forms, to work with Harry, Bob and Bill to redesign the database, possible on-line forms for the website and potentially an on-line payment option.  In January he will order stickers for next year, send more correspondence regarding inspections, also communicate to permit holders about the new forms and processes.

 

Steven Ross moved to move Agenda item CURRENT BUSINESS f. Discuss different mooring permit fees for Old Lyme Residents and non-residents to after NEW BUSINESS.  Tom Meyer seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

f.          Discuss different mooring permit fees for Old Lyme Residents and non-residents

To be discussed later in the Agenda.
 

 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS

a.         Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut

Harry Plaut reported that he had given Robert Falaguerra a copy of the 2019 CT State Statutes regarding Harbor Masters’ responsibilities manual to read.  The sailboat north of Calves Island will be removed by January and Harry Plaut will check to see if it was permitted.  Harry reported that a check from Garvin was received.  Harry still has two moorings that he tagged and then pulled from Point O’Woods beach in his yard, and the owners need to claim them.  Steven Ross requested that Harry contact the owners directly rather than through the association since there has been no response.
 

b.         Report from Kayak Launching and Storage Committee – Mike Magee

Mike Magee had nothing new to report.

 


NEW BUSINESS
a.         Election of Officers for 2020
The present slate of officers had agreed to serve another year at last month’s meeting.  Steven Ross asked for any nominations from the floor and there were none.  Nominations were then closed.  Steven Ross moved that the following slate of officers be elected for 2020.  Steven Ross (Chairman), John MacDonald (Vice-Chairman), Mike Magee (Secretary) and Bill Harris (Treasurer).  All members were in favor.

 

b.         Deputy Harbor Master Recommendation

Steven Ross reported that he had submitted the recommendation of Robert Falaguerra as Deputy Harbor Master to the Governor. Steven stated that Bob has still not been appointed, as there had been no meeting at the state yet, but there should be shortly.  There was a question if once Bob becomes the Deputy Harbor Master, if he would then become an ex-officio member of the Harbor Management Commission.  Steven will look into the statutes on this and report back.

 

c.         Commission Budget for Fiscal Year 2020-2021    

The budget items were discussed and the same amounts as this year will be requested for next year. Robert Falaguerra moved to approve the same budget as last year (Contracted services:  $1,200 and Miscellaneous: $50 / Total Budget of $1,250).  John MacDonald seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

 

Current Business

f.          Discuss different mooring permit fees for Old Lyme Residents and non-residents

There was a discussion as to whether there should be a distinction between mooring fee prices for property owners and non-property owners. The term resident and non-resident would not be used.  It was decided that until a need arises, the fee would be the same for anyone placing a mooring.

 

 

 

PUBLIC COMMENT: None

 

 
EXECUTIVE SESSION: None

 

 

ADJOURMENT

John MacDonald moved, and Tom Meyer seconded, to adjourn the meeting at 8:01 PM. 

SO VOTED.

 

The next meeting of the HMC will be March 10, 2019. 

 

Submitted by,

 

 

Mary Ellen Garbarino (Clerk)