Assessment Exemption Programs for Vetrans


To qualify for any of the applicable exemptions under Section 12-81 Veterans must have filed Honorable Discharge (DD214) in the Town Clerk's office by September 30th. Veterans must have served during a time of War as defined in (Section 27-103)

Section 12-81 (g) provides for an increase in the property tax exemption amount granted to a qualified Veteran if certain income requirements are met. Disabled Veterans are eligible for an exemption in addition to the regular exemption with the filing of a disability rating from the Veterans Administration.

Active Duty Service Members

Under the Federal Servicemember Civil Relief Act persons on active duty must present to the Assessor a current earning and leave a statement or a letter from their Commanding Officer along with a yearly application for exemption. Any Service member on active duty claiming Connecticut as their legal residence must file prior to December 31st.