Halls Road Improvements Committee Charge
The charge of the Halls Road Improvements Committee is: (A) to provide the Board of Selectmen with recommendations for changes to Halls Road (a/k/a Boston Post Road) that will “beautify” the area in a manner that enhances that neighborhood as well as the Lyme Street arts community, at a cost acceptable to the Town; and (B) to assist the Board in the implementation of such changes as may be adopted.
At a minimum this will include:
- Define the area and boundaries of the targeted area.
- Identify stakeholders to be included in decision-making and communicate with them on ideas and progress.
- Work in conjunction with State of CT Dept. of Transportation, as Halls Road is a state road.
- Collaborate with the Lower CT River Valley Council of Governments (RiverCOG).
- Assess the current configuration of the targeted area and determine the elements to be considered in an improvements plan (signage, lighting, sidewalks, etc.).
- Research funding opportunities for the initial planning phase, as well as future construction phase(s) as needed.
- Develop an RFQ for a Landscape Design, Architectural and/or Engineering firm to work on a Master Plan for Halls Road.
- Advertise the RFQ in collaboration with the Selectmen’s Office.
- Interview respondents and recommend a firm to the Board of Selectmen
- Develop a scope of work.
- Conduct public information sessions as needed.
- Approve final plans and designs to be recommended to Board of Selectmen.
- Communicate as necessary and appropriate with other Boards and Commissions, such as Economic Development and Zoning Commissions.
- Oversee the contractor bid process.
- Identify contractors and negotiate the cost of services based on the scope of work.
- Oversee the construction of the project to completion.
- Abide by the requirements of any grant funding.
- Perform other tasks deemed necessary or useful by the Board of Selectmen.
This will likely be an ongoing committee, with several phases of the project over a lengthy period of time. The committee must meet all FOI requirements with respect to the posting of agendas and minutes. The committee shall provide regular updates to the Board of Selectmen, with recommendations on an ongoing basis. The Board of Selectmen will retain overall responsibility for the project. All original project documents are to be kept at Town Hall in project file.