Minutes of a meeting of
The Old Lyme Tree Commission
May 16, 2013
Regular members present: Joanne DiCamillo, Anne Bing, Gerry Foster, Emily Griswold
Alternate members present: Joan Flynn
Ex-officio members absent: Tom Degnan, Tree Warden
A quorum being present, Chairman Joanne DiCamillo called the meeting to order at 4:05 P.M.
The commission has openings for two members.
Clerk’s Report – The minutes of the 3/21/13 meeting were reviewed.
MOTION: Gerry Foster moved, seconded by Anne Bing, to accept the March minutes as presented.
Joanne DiCamillo, Anne Bing, and Gerry Foster voted in favor. Joan Flynn and Emily Griswold abstained as they had not attended the March meeting. Motion carried.
Balance Mrs. DiCamillo reported that as of 5/14/2013 the balance in the General Fund (Tree Commission and Public Works) was $3,960. All of the expenditures for the past month, under the Tree Contracted Services line item, were authorized by the Superintendent of Public Works.
2013-2014 budget request
Mrs. DiCamillo’s request for $17,000 has been approved by the Board of Finance.
NEW BUSINESS - none
35 Sill Lane – Tree Warden’s response to resident’s letter
Diane Birdsall wrote a letter to the Tree Commission regarding two trees on a neighbor’s adjoining property. She feels that the trees are hazardous and a threat to her home and to the power lines. Mrs. DiCamillo forwarded her letter to the tree warden who looked at the trees. He advised Ms. Birdsall to contact an arborist for an evaluation, and to follow up with a registered letter to her neighbor with the arborist’s recommendations.
The town does not have jurisdiction over trees on private property.
1 Sill Lane – Peck Tavern – new trees planted
The storm damaged trees were removed by CL&P. The owners have planted new trees along the road within their property line.
68 Sill Lane - new dogwood damaged – cut down – replacement
One of the new dogwoods was heavily damaged by snow/ice. It was cut down by the town crew. Before a new dogwood can be planted the root ball must be dug out.
Lymes’ Senior Center – tree removal & pruning review
Mrs. DiCamillo reported the pruning and tree removal has been completed. She is not certain if the new plants she recommended will be added to the landscape.
Members’ tree mulching - Members should weed and mulch the following trees:
- 110 Mile Creek Road: 2 red maples
- Old Shore Road & Buttonball Road: 1 red maple
- Cross Lane Firehouse, front: 2 ornamental cherries
- Route 156, Police Station: 1 ornamental cherry
- Ferry Road, Lyme Regis: 2 weeping cherries
- McCurdy Road & Route 156: 3 Honeylocusts
- Rogers Lake Park: 1 Kousa dogwood
- Lyme Street, Center School: 1 Franklinia
- Lyme Street, south of Ice Cream Shoppe: 1 sugar maple
- Lyme Street, #6: 1 European hornbeam
- 80-1 Lyme Street: 1 sugar maple
- McCurdy Road & Johnnycake Hill Road: 3 Kousa dogwoods
- Lyme Street, Firehouse: 2 Kousa dogwoods
- Sill Lane and Saunders Hollow Road Green: weeping cherry
- 62 Sill Lane: 1 sugar maple
- 68 Sill Lane: 1 black tupelo
- 61 Sill Lane: 1 red maple
- 64 Lyme Street: 1 ornamental pear
- Lyme Street, Children’s learning Center: 1 weeping cherry
- Lyme Street, Memorial Town Hall: 1 European hornbeam
Mile Creek Road – maple tree removal
After seven months, a maple tree marked for removal at 174 Mile Creek Road, was taken down in April.
Firehouse Plantings – new inkberries
Two of the (five) new inkberries were damaged/broken in the winter storms, due to the snow banks piled over them or possibly by snow plows. They were planted last fall by Regional District # 18.
High School entrance road – new plantings blizzard damage
Several of the new plants on the town right-of-way were damaged by the snow/ice storms. They were planted by Regional District # 18 and will need to be replaced.
MEMBERS’ REPORTS – none
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Alert: Emerald Ash Borer is in CT
The Emerald Ash Borer has been found in eight towns in New Haven County. The DEEP and the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station are working to take prompt action.
REMINDER - Next Meeting ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next scheduled meeting is Thursday, June 20, 2013 at 4 P.M. at the Town Hall.
Motion: Joan Flynn moved, seconded by Gerry Foster, to adjourn the meeting at 4:37 P.M. Motion carried.