Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.
Rogers Lake Authority Minutes 06/14/2017
A meeting of the Rogers Lake Authority (RLA) was convened at the Rogers Lake Clubhouse at 7:30 PM on June 14th.  The following members were present: Dennis Overfield, Richard Smith, Robert Recor and Rob Roach.  Six local attendees were also present.  The minutes were typed by Nicole Krol.
The meeting of the Rogers Lake Authority was called to order at 7:35pm by Dennis Overfield.
A motion to approve the minutes from May was made by Rob Recor, Rob Roach second.  The vote was unanimously approved.
Lake Patrol
Dick has had the 3 patrol/launch attendees rotating their shifts.  Dick would like them to note all of their interactions good and bad.  Dick spoke to Bonnie and some of the rangers may want to be present on the boat throughout the season.   There have not been any bad encounters.  The patrols will be checking for licenses and registrations as well as horse power and other infractions.  The authority will look into getting a Gopro for the safety of the boat patrol and boaters.  The town may provide a radio for the RLA to use to get in touch with officers if needed.
Summary of the weed treatment: Dennis and Dick did survey the lake ahead of time but did not see fanwort.  While on Solitude’s boat survey they did see fanwort in few areas.  The treatment date was shifted to Thursday the 8th.  There was an attendee at the boat launch and on the boat to patrol on the day of herbicide application.  The post treatment survey will be scheduled sometime after the 4th and RLA will put in a request to be present.  Dennis did observe the treatment and they hit all the spots they indicated on the map, the application took just over 4 hours.  Many mentioned that the treatment seems to be working already.  There are studies done and then reports are filed after each season.  The RLA would need reapply for more herbicide treatments after next seasons application. There were 2 wells tested and no trace of the chemical was found.
The signs that were posted for the treatment have been removed.

Nothing new to report.
Old Business
Rob gave an update on the CPR course.   While attendance was low the class went very well.  Rob would be happy to set up the class next year if the RLA wants to put it on.

New Business
Rob let all know the rowing is in high gear, there are many out on the lake.  
An attendee asked if the mega phones are supposed to be limited and Rob said “yes” especially in the morning, he will put in a phone call to make sure this is in fact being done.
Dick has been receiving fishing tournament add ons.  There is one this Saturday the 17th.
On leap years the lake is lowered so that residents can maintain their walls.  August 1st Bonnie will decide on whether there will be a lake drawdown this year.     
AED’s are located at town parks and Dennis did not see one located at the boat house, when it is in place it will not accessible to RLA but there is the option to add one to the patrol boat.  
The channel by the boat launch has sandbars and many boats hit ground there.  It may be a good idea to put up the warning buoys for boaters but a permit will need to be received beforehand.
In the boater’s guide the size of the boat motor differs from the state standard, Dick will look into getting the wording changed.
A new invasive species was found in the Connecticut river, it is called the European Water Chestnut.
In order to have a buoy one needs to apply for a permit from DEEP.
Motion to adjourn was made by Dick and Rob second, motion passed by unanimous vote. The meeting ended at 8:25 PM.  

Respectfully submitted,
Nicole Krol, Secretary for RLA, 

The next meeting of the Rogers Lake Association will be on July 12th at 7:30PM at the Rogers Lake
West Shores Clubhouse:
Agenda for next Meeting:  
•     Budget
•     Police Patrol
•     Weeds
•     Boat Launch
•     New Business
•      Old Business  

52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM