Skip Navigation
 

This table is used for column layout.
 
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 06/12/2012
Minutes of a Meeting of
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
June 12, 2012

Attendance:
Members presentNed Farman, Dave Frederiks, Bill Harris, Mike Mackey, Harry Plaut, Steve Ross and Dave Zita.
Alternates present – Robert Falaguerra seated for Bob Doyen.
Absent – Charlie Delinks, Bob Doyen, Mike Magee, and Mike Moran.
Guest: Bill Cotter of Docko, Inc.

A quorum being present, Chairman Ross called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

REPORTS
Clerk’s Report
The minutes of the April 10 and May 8, 2012 meetings were reviewed and accepted as submitted.

Treasurer’s Report
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s report, which was accepted for audit.  A copy of the report is on file with the minutes.

Motion made by Steve Ross second by Ned Farman to revise the agenda to move Dock Applications to the present location in the meeting. Motion passed unanimously.

Dock Applications
Guest Presentation regarding the O’Hanlan COP Application
Bill Cotter of Docko Inc. presented the plans for the O’Hanlan COP Application at 21 Ferry Road. The plans include rebuilding and elevating the existing walkway as well as replacing the current float with an 8 x 12 ft. float.  The walkway would be reduced to 3 ¼ ft. wide and made with plastic flow through decking, powder –coated handrail posts, cables and top rails (42 inches above the deck) would be green to reduce visibility. Steve Ross noted the past issue with the Kehoe’s dock which needed reduced piling height and the additions of chain restraints in order to meet HMC dock standards. Bill will research the previous revision and incorporate into the current plan.
Steve Ross noted that since this is a COP application to rebuild a formerly unpermitted dock, there is no approval sheet provided for HMC. The HMC can advise DEEP of the Commission’s approval, disapproval or concerns. It is noted that the property over which the walkway traverses is an easement held by the O’Hanlans because the property is owned by the adjacent property owner, the Sedgwicks. Many years ago, the owner of the Sedgewick property deeded his daughter the adjacent property and gave her an easement over the marsh. Steve said the O’Hanlans looked into possibility of the O’Hanlans purchasing that strip of land instead of having an easement. Because of the configuration of the property, it could not be done through zoning and a variance would be needed. It is unlikely a variance would be granted. Motion made by Steve Ross seconded by Ned Farman that the HMC notify DEEP that it has no objection to the proposed O’Hanlan COP application provided that : 1) the pilings are reduced in height to conform with OL dock standards, fitted with restraint chains 2) the HMC will approve the elevation of the walkway despite the area being environmentally stable with the current walkway 3) the HMC has a concern that the approval of this COP application will in no way serve as a detriment to the Sedgewicks when they apply for their dock since their dock is unpermitted as well. 4) Docko Inc. will investigate the easement to be sure there is nothing that conflicts with the COP application.  Discussion followed and then the motion passed unanimously.

OLD BUSINESS
Member Appointments
There remain two Alternate Member position vacancies.

Pilgrim Landing
Mike Magee was absent but Dave Frederiks reported that the site is clean.



Dinghy Dock
Mike Mackey reported that the dinghy dock is in place. Steve Ross noted that there is a huge log along the beach and asked if Mike [Mackey] or Mike Moran can contact Public Works to have it removed.

Potential Public Access Site—West bank of Lt. River
Steve Ross noted that Phase 1-Improvements have been completed thanks to Harry Plaut, Mike Magee and the Town Crew.
Phase 2: Footbridge: Dave Zita has been unable to work on the project due to his knee rehabilitation. Steve Ross offered to contact the Lyme Art Association regarding some historical information and en plein air painting. Members agreed to have Steve obtain the rendering.
Phase 3: Steve Ross asked Harry Plaut to find out what size dock and ramp will be needed at the site in order to make tidal elevation.

COMMITTEE REPORTS
Harbor Master
Mike Mackey reported for Mike Moran that there is a sunken 19 ft. boat in the swimming area of Point of Woods. Steve Ross noted that since it is in that location, it is the POW Association that needs to deal with the situation and its removal.
It was noted that Mike Moran had given Bill Harris over $1,000 in mooring fees which have been deposited. After discussion, members asked Mike Mackey to have Mike Moran contact Old Lyme Marina to pay its mooring fees by the end of June, after which there will be fines added to the fees.
Mike Mackey reported that he has put in the Town moorings and the lettering was re-painted.

Dredge Project
Ned Farman confirmed that the Town has received $200,000 in grant money from the state for the dredge project.  Steve Ross reported that the Board of Selectmen has approved the expenditure of up to $200,000 for a study after the HMC sends out the Request For Proposals which they will approve also.  The Board would like a motion from the HMC approving that expenditure.  Motion made by Steve Ross seconded by Bill Harris that the HMC approves the expenditure not to exceed $200,000 for the purpose of the dredging study of the Black Hall and Four Mile Rivers.  Motion passed unanimously.
Ned Farman reported that members should have received by email a completed Draft Request for Proposals for a dredging design study of the Four Mile River and Black Hall River.  Hard copies were distributed to members as well. All members were strongly encouraged to review the draft and respond to Ned as well as copy to Steve Ross any suggestions for the draft.  Suggestions are needed as soon as possible in order for them to be incorporated prior to next month’s meeting. At the July meeting, the HMC will need to consider the draft, make final changes and give final approval on it. After HMC signs off or amends the draft, it will continue on to the Town Attorney and then to Board of Selectmen. It will be sent to pre-approved CT-based engineering firms with a cover letter. An ad will also be published for notification that bids are being solicited. Bidding will be on just Phase One using priced bids only.
Members noted and appreciated Ned’s efforts and dedication which has moved this project along with great speed.

NEW BUSINESS
DEP Violations
None reported this month.

Waterway Cleanup
Harry Plaut has been unable to work on this project this month. Steve Ross suggested that he contact the Old Lyme Land Trust and Nature Conservancy for assistance.

DEEP Response to HMC Request for Involvement in Local Issues at Onset
Steve Ross reported that he had been in discussion with Sue Bailey of the DEEP regarding involving the HMC in local issues from the onset.  He noted that Sue will do her best to keep the HMC in the loop although it will not be in writing. Steve was appreciative of this and has already seen improved communication as noted in the O’Hanlan COP application.


ADJOURNMENT
The meeting was adjourned at 8:02 PM.


Submitted by:
Janet S. Cody, Clerk





 
 
52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM