Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 04/10/2012
Minutes of a Meeting of
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
April 10, 2012

Members present Charlie Delinks, Ned Farman, Dave Frederiks, Bill Harris, Mike Mackey (7:15), Mike Magee, Mike Moran, Harry Plaut (7:25), and Steve Ross.
Alternates present – Robert Falaguerra.
Absent – Bob Doyen, Dave Zita.

A quorum being present, Chairman Ross called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

Clerk’s Report
The minutes of the previous meeting were reviewed and accepted as submitted.

None received this month.

Treasurer’s Report
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s report, which was accepted for audit.  A copy of the report is on file with the minutes.

Member Appointments
There remain two vacancies for Alternate Member positions.

Pilgrim Landing
Mike Magee had no new information for this month.

Dinghy Dock
Mike Moran reported that the dinghy dock is waiting to be placed in the water.

Potential Public Access Site—West bank of Lt. River
Due to medical issues, Dave Zita was unable to contact the Lyme Art Academy regarding the conceptual drawing/contest of the foot bridge and public access site. The project is on hold until he is recovered.

Harbor Master
Mike Moran reported that he has received 20-30 mooring applications. He reviewed his procedures that he has in place to inform mooring owners that all mooring tackle will need to be inspected this fall. He will require a certified inspection report of the tackle before applicants can receive their mooring permits in 2013.  Those that are not in compliance can also be fined.
Mike stated that he called but was unable to find the person who had mailed in a check that was returned for insufficient funds for a mooring application. He will send a letter to the listed address in a last attempt.

Harbor Management Plan
Members thanked Charlie Delinks for his extensive amount of time in completion of the scanned Harbor Management Plan. It is now in a PDF file on a CD that includes the word document that also provides a historical document of all changes that were made. It is also now on the Town’s website with the entire plan, including the figures and diagrams, as well as the addendum with the dock standards and the map of the harbor use zones. There is another link that remains on the website that is just the addendum and the map. Charlie Delinks noted the assistance of Steve Ross in proofreading all the materials.

Dredge Project
Ned Farman reported that in regards to the contract between the Town and the DOT, the Town has signed off on the contract and it has returned to the DOT who will vet it meaning that the available funds will now reside with the Town. He also noted that hopefully by the end of the week there will be a formal hiring of a consultant who will write the RFP for the Town which will go out to marine engineering firms. The RFP will cover testing, surveying, bathometric, volumetric, historical information and user profile.
Then it will continue to the permitting phase that could take 1-3 years. Depending on what the DEEP allows the Town to do, another RFP would go out for construction management, dredging, and disposal. Members were encouraged to attend the meeting for the hiring of consultant on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. at Town Hall. Steve Ross and Ned will be in attendance along with various Town and state officials. Steve noted Ned’s hard work in keeping the project moving forward.

Dock Applications
No new dock applications were received this month. Regarding the Romeo application from last month, Mike Moran had reviewed the site and said it was fine. Steve Ross had reviewed the specifics and found that it was in compliance with HMC standards but he requested that they add one additional print when submitting to the DEEP to show the length of the walkway that spans the marsh and its dimensions. Steve noted that it is probably submitted to DEEP by now.

DEP Violations
None received this month.

Waterway Cleanup
Harry Plaut reported that by the end of April there will be a trip made through the Lt. River up to the Black Hall entrance by the boat ramp at Smith Neck Road. Photos will be taken of what is to be removed and submitted to HMC.  The Town Selectwoman is supportive of his effort and the Town will take care of the items removed.

DEEP Response To HMC Request For Involvement In Local Issues At Onset
Steve Ross had sent an email to Susan Bailey requesting that the HMC be involved from the beginning on any issues relating to docks in the town of Old Lyme. She called back and discussed the issue with Steve who noted the benefits for Town residents in having HMC involvement. Steve has not received an answer from her and/or her superiors. Steve will wait one week and then contact her.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:38 PM.

Submitted by:
Janet S. Cody, Clerk

52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM