Skip Navigation
 

This table is used for column layout.
 
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 11/08/2011
Minutes of a Meeting of
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
November 8, 2011

Attendance:
Members present Dave Frederiks, Bill Harris, Mike Mackey, Mike Magee, Harry Plaut, Steve Ross, and Dave Zita.
Alternates present – none.
Absent – Charlie Delinks, Bob Doyen, Ned Farman, Robert Falaguerra, Mike Moran.

A quorum being present, Chairman Steve Ross called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.  Arlene Sherman was welcomed with her attendance at the meeting as a prospective Alternate Member.

REPORTS
Clerk’s Report
The minutes of the previous meeting were reviewed and accepted as submitted.

Correspondence
Steve Ross received a referral for comment from the Zoning Commission for a public hearing later this month regarding the Staab application at 30 Neck Rd.  Steve informed members that the Staabs have already applied and received a permit from DEEP to remove a T dock and replace it with a straight pier along with some dredging work. This permit precedes the dock standards. Steve received a copy of an email that Marcia Balint of the LIS programs of DEEP that noted no objection to the project. Steve will email Jane Cable, Chair of the Zoning Commission, and voice HMC approval for this project.
Steve also received a letter from Old Lyme Fire Department Chief Tom Swaney regarding the Lt. River site at the Bow Bridge. The OLFD has reviewed the plans and would like to see a 30’ x 30’ area in which to park two fire trucks side by side. Mike Magee thinks that there will be enough space for this requirement but will reassess the site and report back to members.
Steve announced that the CT Harbormasters Annual Meeting will be held December 6 at Woodwinds in Branford. Mike Moran, Mike Mackey, Bill Harris and Harry Plaut are planning to attend. Any other interested members should contact Bill Harris as soon as possible as the reservation deadline is imminent.

Treasurer’s Report
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s report, which was accepted for audit.  A copy of the report is on file with the minutes.

OLD BUSINESS
Member Appointments
Steve Ross welcomed Arlene Sherman again who is attending the meeting as a prospective new Alternate Member.
Steve Ross reported that Frank Maratta who attended the October meeting requested that the Selectmen appoint him as an Alternate Member. Steve read the minutes of the last Selectmen’s meeting and saw that they tabled the appointment. Steve thinks it was tabled because the Selectmen weren’t sure whether or not Frank had attended a meeting. Steve has spoken to Tim Griswold regarding Frank and that the HMC has no reason to oppose his appointment.

Pilgrim Landing
Mike Magee reported no change at Pilgrim Landing this month.

Dinghy Dock
Mike Mackey reported that as of last week the dinghy dock was still in the water but that he will call Old Lyme Dock to remove it at their convenience for the winter.




Potential Public Access Site—West bank of Lt. River
Phase 1/Updates: Steve Ross reported that once the leaves are down, Public Works can clear brush, debris and fill potholes with stone.  Harry Plaut and Mike Magee will coordinate this project. Steve asked Harry to research obtaining one concrete picnic bench for the site.
Phase 2/Dock Application: Steve Ross sent 2 emails and left one phone message with Elizabeth Brothers regarding a letter of permission to locate a dock in front of the DEEP parcel of land.  If he receives no answer soon, Steve will pursue other avenues of communication.  Steve has already spoken to Sue Bailey who sees no problem permitting it. Once the HMC receives a letter of permission, the Committee can contact 2 local engineering firms for project bids.  Harry Plaut will research estimated prices for the dock.

Letter from Brian Thompson at DEEP regarding existing docks
Steve Ross reported that he wanted to discuss with members the HMC response to Brian Thompson’s letter regarding existing unpermitted docks. After discussion, Steve will email Brian Thompson’s letter to Dave Zita for evaluation and suggestions for content before drafting a letter for review by members.

COMMITTEE REPORTS
Harbor Master
Not present-no report this month.

Harbor Management Plan
Steve Ross reported that he and Charlie Delinks were unable to meet last month to make the final edits on the Harbor Management Plan but he will reschedule their meeting before the January meeting.

Shoaling
Ned Farman was absent tonight but Steve Ross reported for Ned that the thank you letters signed by Tim Griswold were mailed to appropriate officials and agencies as noted in last month’s minutes. The next step will be for Ned to meet with DEEP to review the process for proceeding and how funds are released.


NEW BUSINESS
Marsh Damage at Black Hall River just north of Mile Creek Rd.
Steve and Tim Griswold met with concerned residents regarding the damage to the marsh on private property at the southwest corner of Mile Creek Rd. as it crosses the Black Hall River. Tim will have the Town put up fencing to reduce the ease of access alongside the river. Mr. Bergmans will extend his chain link deer fence along his property line by the road. The town will extend the guardrail or place boulders on the south side along with placing signage on the fencing to keep off for marsh restoration. No trespassing sings will also be posted on fencing by the property owners so the Police Dept can enforce if contacted.  No action is required by HMC at present but members were encouraged to view the site.

Dock Applications
None received this month.

DEDP Violations
Steve Ross forwarded to members by email a notice of violation from DeAva Lambert at DEEP for an unpermitted dock at the Romeo property at 62 Buttonball Rd.  DEEP will be responsible for handling the violation and its resolution.

Language of Graybill Property Dock Application
Harry Plaut asked for clarification on the language regarding the Graybill property dock application as stated in the Zoning Commission minutes. Steve explained that the language in question was used to define usage by the Zoning Commission because the property is a commercial property although the owner may use the dock for his personally owned boat.




Town of Old Lyme Annual Report
Dave Zita stated that he will email to members for review a draft article representing the HMC for the Annual Town Report. The members expressed their appreciation to Dave for writing this report again this year.


Town Moorings
Mike Mackey suggested and members agreed that the Town Moorings should be pulled for the season and stored in Clinton. Mike will determine how to make the lettering more permanent on the moorings.

Steve Ross moved the meeting from Regular Session to Executive Session at 7:50. The Regular Session resumed at 7:55.

ADJOURNMENT
The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 PM.


Submitted by:
Janet S. Cody, Clerk





 
 
52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM