Skip Navigation
 

This table is used for column layout.
 
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 06/12/2018
Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
June 12, 2018 Regular Meeting


ATTENDANCE

Regular Members Present:  Robert Falaguerra, George Finley, Bill Harris, John MacDonald, Jeff Meinke, Tom Myer, Harry Plaut (ex-officio), Steven Ross, Richard Shriver (alternate)

Absent:  Mark Beatty (alternate), Bob Doyen, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Mike Magee

Guests:  Alan Todd, Keith Neilson (Docko)

Chairman Steven Ross called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

Richard Shriver was seated for Mike Magee.


REPORTS
a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
George Finley moved to accept the minutes of Meeting May 8, 2018, and Bill Harris seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
Steven Ross reported that he had received a copy of the DEEP application for 104 Hillcrest Road for a stairway to the water’s edge.  The HMC had reviewed this project at a past meeting and had no problem with the application.

c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for May 2018
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for May 2018.  
Beginning Balance:  $24,906.04, Interest / Dividends: $23.10, Receipts: $550.00, Disbursements: $315.00 (signs at Dinghy Dock), Ending Balance: $25,164.14. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

d.      Matters Relevant to the HMC at the State Level
Steven Ross had nothing new to report except that he had several conversations with Joe Salvatore regarding the project at Lt. River.


APPLICATIONS FOR DOCKS
a.              Alan Todd- discussion tabled until ability to issue a variance is finalized

b.      Status of Lisa Brault Dock Permit issued with non-conforming float size - Smith Neck Road
Discussion tabled until ability to issue a variance is finalized.


CURRENT BUSINESS
a.       Member Appointments
There is one opening on this Commission for an Alternate Member.  

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Since the agreement with Rock River Association did not work out – Mike Magee will move the Town’s boat rack that is presently on the property of Rock River Association to the Town land.  Steven Ross stated that Mike will need three additional people to help him pick up and move the rack.

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
Rollers were missing and broken – status of Dave Peterson replacing rollers secured with bolts, docks are in the water.
Steven Ross reported that Mike Mackey inspected the docks and found that the rollers were not put in with bolts as requested.  Dave Peterson will correct this.

Tom Myer moved to move Agenda item Current Business e. to this point in the Agenda.  Jeff Meinke seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

e.         Status of Ordinance to HMC Plan Addendum for Variance procedure / capability
Steven Ross reported that the Board of Selectmen reviewed and approved Amendment to the Addendum for Variance Procedure and that it will go to a Town Meeting in late June or July for Town approval.  Steven noted that the Town Attorney had made a couple of small changes before the Selectmen approved it. Once approved at the Town Meeting there will be a two-week period allowing for any appeals.  Steven Ross will present it at the Town Meeting and encouraged members to attend the meeting.

Keith Neilson intends to file for variances on behalf of Alan Todd, Lisa Brault, and Mr. Filbert once the Addendum is accepted at Town Meeting.  

d.      Potential Public Access Site West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
Proposed walkway and platform
Steven Ross emailed to members today Geoff Steadman’s draft of the RFP for the Lt. River Project to build an ADA accessible ramp and platform on the west bank of the Lt. River.  This RFP is for design and permitting. Steven asked members to review it and get back to him with any questions.  Steven will be talking with Geoff Steadman tomorrow after he has a chance to review it carefully.  Once a bidder is selected, the design and permitting can be developed.  The project can go out to bid for construction after approval of the proposal and permits are obtained.  Again, it was noted that this will be a reimbursable expense from the State due to leftover funds from the dredging project. The Halls Road Improvement Committee, the Fire Department and Public works will be kept informed as the project progresses.  George Finley volunteered to go to Town Hall to search for the Deed from when DOT gave the abandoned road and bulkhead to the Town.  This would have been right after they built I-95 and the current Halls Road.  


COMMITTEE REPORTS
Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
a.      Status of moorings unclaimed that were pulled in 2013-14
There are four available to sell.    

b.      Harbor Master recap of activity since last meeting – Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut gave a recap of activity since last meeting.  He removed two abandoned dinghies from the boat racks at Pilgrim Landing.  These dinghies had been stickered by Harry two times over the past year and to date had not been claimed.  The stickers indicate that the owner is to contact the Harbor Master within three weeks or the Harbor Master may dispose of the property.  Harry had followed the process for abandoned property as designated by the HMC. One dinghy is wooden, very damaged, and Harry took it to the dump.  The second dinghy is a plastic one and is on Harry’s property.  Robert Falaguerra moved to offer the plastic dinghy for sale with the funds to go to the Harbor Management Commission.  George Finley seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Harry Plaut will find out how much the dinghy is worth.  Harry stated that someone is already interested in buying it.  If he gets a decent offer, he will speak to Steven Ross for permission to accept the offer or not.

Harry Plaut reported that he had been paid this year by the State.  He had participated in the search for the missing boater in Old Saybrook who was later found deceased.  The police requested that Harry post signs at Sound View Beach regarding jet skis not allowed to be tied to swim lines.  There was a discussion regarding whose responsibility this would be.  Harry will talk to the police and ask them what they want the signs to say and will they get them from Public Works.  Harry will get back to Steven Ross once he talks to the police.  Signs for White Sand Beach should be part of this also.  Harry placed the red channel marker at Black Hall River and will give the coordinates to Robert Falaguerra to give to the Coast Guard.  Harry has been passing out Boating Guides to area establishments.

c.      Draft of Mooring Inspection Checklist and required procedure – Mike Mackey
Item tabled until a later date.


NEW BUSINESS


OTHER BUSINESS


PUBLIC COMMENT – None

Steven Ross moved to go into Executive Session at 7:56 PM, and Jeff Meinke seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Steven Ross moved to go out of Executive Session at 8:05 PM.  George Finley seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.     


ADJOURNMENT
Steven Ross moved and John MacDonald seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:07 PM.  
SO VOTED.

The next meeting of the HMC will be on July 10, 2018.


Submitted by,


Mary Ellen Garbarino (Clerk)


 
 
52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM