Skip Navigation
 

This table is used for column layout.
 
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 12/12/2017
Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
December 12, 2017



ATTENDANCE


Regular Members Present: Bob Doyen (arrived 10 minutes after the start of the meeting), Ned Farman, Robert Falaguerra, George Finley, Bill Harris, John MacDonald, Mike Magee, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Jeff Meinke (alternate), Tom Myer, Steven Ross

Absent:  Harry Plaut (ex-officio)

Guests:  Keith Neilson (Docko), Tom Risom

Chairman Steven Ross called the meeting to order at 7:01 PM.

Jeff Meinke was seated for Bob Doyen.


REPORTS
a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
Robert Falaguerra moved to accept the minutes of Regular Meeting November 14, 2017 and Jeff Meinke seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
Steven Ross reported that the COP for Old Lyme Marina was approved by the DEEP.  

The budget update was received from the Town Finance Office.  Steven reported that he had requested $100 more for this upcoming fiscal year to reflect actual expenses for 2018 / 2019. New budget is $1,150.00.  Steven reported that he withdrew the amount of $5,000 in the Capital Campaign for the rebuild of the dingy docks because there is no need for this at this time.

A package was received from Nathan Jacobson and Associates regarding the DEEP application to rehabilitate the bridge on Mile Creek Road that goes over the Black Hall River.  

A draft letter from Keith Neilson was received regarding the Rotolo project and the HMC support of the alternative dock layout suggested by Docko.  Steven had incorporated some changes to the letter, and passed the revised draft to the members for their review.  

Steven reported that Harry Plaut was recovering from his knee surgery and doing well.

Robert Doyen arrived at 7:10 PM and was seated for Jeff Meinke.


c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for November 2017  
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for November 2017.  
Beginning Balance:  $25,657.02, Interest / Dividends: $18.97, Receipts: $0, Disbursements: $125.00, Ending Balance: $25,550.99. The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

d.      Matters Relevant to the HMC at the State Level – Ned Farman
Ned Farman reported that in last month’s minutes there was reference to the site across the Lt. River from the Morning Glory Restaurant.  Steven, Ned and Joe Salvatore from DOT / CT Port Authority will walk the area next Thursday with the hopes of getting a development scheme started.

Steven Ross moved to move Agenda items under NEW BUSINESS regarding reports from Keith Neilson to this point in the Agenda and Ned Farman seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

NEW BUSINESS
Steven Ross gave a recap of a meeting that took place this afternoon at South Lyme Marina to address the problems from the recent dredging. Patriot has agreed to dredge, at no charge, an amount of material from the point where the barge was inward into the marina’s basin and repair an existing old dock.  After the work is done, it will be reassessed, and if necessary other avenues of recourse will occur. Steve commended Ned, Keith from Docko, and Rob from Patriot for their help in settling this matter.

Applications for Docks, etc. (Discussed earlier in the Agenda)
Keith Neilson thanked the Commission for their support of the Rotolo Application.

a.      Black Hall River Nav Marker
Notify Coast Guard that marker will be in the water 2018
Steven Ross explained that the Black Hall River markers have been privately maintained for many years.  The only one that the HMC will place and maintain is where the river meets LI Sound.  The Coast Guard will be notified of the current location.  Bob Falaguerra has spoken with the Coast Guard and it will not be a problem.

b.      Alan Todd – status of his discussion with manufacturer of ladder
Keith Neilson reported that he had spent quite a bit of time with Alan Todd on his dock and working the mechanical lift to figure out ways to alter the mechanism to meet the Dock Standards.  They also contacted the lift manufacturer and they stated that they would not condone any type of alterations to the lift.  Docko does not recommend altering the ladder either and believes that at this point there are no options.  Keith would like to postpone until the March meeting when the proposed waiver to the Dock Standards would be ready.  There was a discussion.  John MacDonald moved to table the discussion of the dock lift issue on the property of Alan Todd until the March HMC meeting.  George Finley seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Keith Neilson spoke regarding the Filbert application.  The DEEP has come back with a revised alignment and Keith will advise Mr. Filbert to accept the revisions and Keith plans to meet with Krista Romero to finalize the documents and then the HMC will receive a copy.

CURRENT BUSINESS
a.       Member Appointments
Opening for three Alternate Members
In January Jeff Meinke will be named by the Board of Selectmen as a full member.

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Negotiation with Rock River Assoc. for use of land to build additional boat racks
Mike Magee reported that Steven Ross had emailed him surveys of the properties which were very helpful.  According to the Town’s attorney, Rock River would be immune to any liability if they open some of their land to the public.  A letter / draft agreement will be sent to Rock River from the Town regarding this with all the details.  Rock River will review the agreement and hopefully agree.  At this time one of the racks is already on the Rock River property.

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
Peterson to repair missing and broken rollers - docks have been hauled for winter
Mike Mackey reported that the pins to the rollers go missing most likely to people helping themselves to them.  The new rollers will solve this problem.  Mike will check to see if they have been ordered.

d.      Potential Public Access Site West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
Foot bridge across Lt. River - John MacDonald liaison with Halls Road Improvement Committee
This was discussed earlier in the meeting.  

e.         Discuss proposed draft additions to Dock Standards HMC Plan Addendum
Status of reply from David Blatt, DEEP
Steven Ross implemented David Blatt’s comments to the draft and submitted it back to him.  Steven reported that he received a reply from Marci Balint at DEEP saying that the draft looked better, and requested that they talk next week.  The Commission members reviewed the revised draft and there was a discussion with no changes being suggested.  It is the hope of the Commission that the final draft will be voted on at the HMC March meeting.

f.          Election of Officers for 2018
Steven Ross read off the names of the proposed slate of officers not including the position of Chairman and put the following into nomination:
                        Robert Doyen, Vice-Chairman
                        Mike Magee, Secretary (re-election)
                        William Harris, Treasurer (re-election)
Steven Ross asked if there were any other nominations for these officers and there were not.

George Finley moved to close the nominations and Bob Falaguerra seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Secretary Mike Magee cast one vote in favor of these officers as there were no other nominations.

Steven Ross turned the meeting over to Vice-chairman Ned Farman.  Ned Farman opened the nominations for the position of Chairman and stated that the proposed slate nominates Steven Ross as Chairman.  He asked for any other nominations for Chairman and there were no nominations made.  George Finley moved to close the nominations and Bob Falaguerra seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Secretary Mike Magee cast one vote in favor of Steven Ross as Chairman as there were no other nominations.  

Vice-chairman Ned Farman turned the meeting over to Chairman Steven Ross.


COMMITTEE REPORTS
Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
a.      Status of moorings unclaimed that were pulled in 2013-14
There are four available to sell.    

b.      Harbor Master recap of activity since last meeting – Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut was absent.

c.      Harbor Master Stipend not paid by DOT Update
This remains the same:  DEEP will compensate Harry Plaut for the 29 days in his first year (2014), and the full second year (2015). This request and approval has gone off to the proper department at the State and a check will be sent to Harry in the near future. He was compensated for 2016 and 2017.  Steven Ross will contact Harry Plaut to ask if he has received compensation yet.

Mike Mackey voiced his concern of the number of people (approximately 20) who have moorings with no inspections. There was a discussion as to how to rectify this next year.  Mike will review the list with Harry looking for any updates.

Ned Farman moved to go into executive session at 8:09 PM.  Bob Falaguerra seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Steven Ross moved to exit executive session at 8:25 PM.  Ned Farman seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.


NEW BUSINESS
Applications for Docks, etc.

a.      Black Hall River Nav Marker
Notify Coast Guard that marker will be in the water 2018
This was discussed earlier in the Agenda.

b.      Alan Todd – status of his discussion with manufacturer of ladder
This was discussed earlier in the Agenda.



OTHER BUSINESS
The Commission members agreed that the letter to the DEEP regarding the Rotolo property was acceptable.  Steven Ross will follow up with Keith Neilson.

Mary Ellen Garbarino had sent to the Town Clerk a list of this Commission’s meetings for 2018 and will send a list of the newly elected officers this week.


PUBLIC COMMENT – None 


ADJOURNMENT
Ned Farman moved and Robert Doyen seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 PM.  
SO VOTED.

The next meeting of the HMC will be on March 13, 2018.


Submitted by,


Mary Ellen Garbarino (Clerk)


 
 
52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM