Skip Navigation
 

This table is used for column layout.
 
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 10/10/2017

Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
October 10, 2017



ATTENDANCE


Regular Members Present: Robert Falaguerra, Ned Farman, George Finley, Bill Harris, John MacDonald, Mike Magee, Tom Meyer, Steven Ross

Absent:  Bob Doyen, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Jeff Meinke (alternate),
Harry Plaut (ex-officio)

Guests:  Keith Neilson (Docko), Alan Todd (100 Mile Creek Road)

Chairman Steven Ross called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.  

Steven Ross moved to move items pertaining to Dock Applications with Keith Neilson to this point in the agenda.  Ned Farman seconded.  SO VOTED.

Filbert Application Revision after Review by DEEP – Keith Neilson
Keith Neilson reviewed the changes made on this project after a review by the DEEP.  Mr. Filbert is in agreement to move ahead with the changes and move forward with getting a permit. Keith stated that the neighbors are all okay with the plan.  There was a discussion about the size of the floating dock that the DEEP approved, as this is larger than the Town Dock Standards specify for the CT River.  Keith explained why a larger floating dock would be better suited when located on the CT River.

Ned Farman moved to table this item until next month’s meeting so that the Standards could be reviewed and the possibility of a waiver for docks on the CT River could be considered.  George Finley seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Steven Ross asked Keith Neilson to draft language for a waiver before the Commission’s next meeting.  The topic of a Waiver Capability will be added to next month’s agenda.

Old Lyme Marina Rebuild and Modifications – Keith Neilson
Keith Neilson reviewed the Old Lyme Marina rebuild and modifications.  The DEEP has determined that the proposed changes are eligible.  The plan was reviewed by the Commission.  John MacDonald moved to approve the COP and Bob Falaguerra seconded the motion.  
SO VOTED.

Allan Todd, 100 Mile Creek Rd, Kayak Retrieval Apparatus Height Issue – Keith Neilson
This item was tabled from last meeting.  
Keith Neilson reviewed the project to date and presented photos.  Mr. Todd had painted the offending ladder in camouflage colors to make it less noticeable.  Steven Ross interjected that he had just received an email from the neighbor on the west side who had voiced a complaint earlier that even though the ladder is now in camouflage colors, it is still very noticeable. Steven Ross stated that the original plan, which the Commission approved, had a davit at the end of the dock and did not have this ladder.  Keith will get the plan that was approved to Steven Ross in the near future for review.  The Commission had never received a change order after the DEEP made its approval where the davit was replaced by the offending ladder.  There was a discussion.

Steven Ross moved that the Commission finds the existing kayak lift in violation according to the Town-wide Dock Standards, and they suggest that Mr. Todd find a way to correct this to bring it into compliance.  Ned Farman seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.  One member was opposed.


REPORTS
a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
Robert Falaguerra moved to accept the minutes of Regular Meeting September 12, 2017 and Ned Farman seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
Steven Ross received an email from a neighbor west of Alan Todd voicing a complaint about the ladder on the dock which holds kayaks. A revised plan from Docko regarding the Filbert dock was also received.

c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for September 2017  
This item was tabled as Bill Harris had not received a statement from the Town Finance Director.

d. Matters relevant to HMC at State level – Ned Farman        
Ned Farman had nothing new to report, but noted that he and Steven Ross get in touch with Joe Salvatore soon.


CURRENT BUSINESS
a.       Member Appointments
There is one current opening for an alternate member.

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Negotiation with Rock River Assoc. for use of land to build additional boat racks
Mike Magee reported that Steven Ross and Ned Farman had walked the landing trying to locate the property markers.  Measurements were made using an old survey that Mike had provided and confirmed with a much more recent survey that the abutter, Mr. Shriver had from MacDonald, Sharpe & Associates. Steven reported, that based on the measurements they had taken on site, the monument should be located between and just in front of the two boat racks.  Mike Magee will put together a meeting with Rock River Association, Bonnie Reemsnyder, Skip Sibley, Steven Ross, Ned Farman, and himself.  The purpose of the meeting will be to have a contract drawn up that would mutually benefit the Town and Rock River Association including liability.  It was hoped this meeting could be held mid to late November.

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
Mike Magee stated that he noticed that some of the rollers were missing and broken.  He will email Mike Mackey about this with a copy to Steven Ross.

d.      Potential Public Access Site West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
Foot bridge across Lt. River - John MacDonald liaison with Halls Road Improvement Committee
There was nothing new to discuss.

e.         Allan Todd, 100 Mile Creek Road, Kayak Retrieval Apparatus Height Issue
Discussed earlier in the agenda.


COMMITTEE REPORTS
Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
a.      Status of moorings unclaimed that were pulled in 2013-14
There are four available to sell.    

b.      Harbor Master recap of activity since last meeting – Harry Plaut
There was no Harbor Master report.  It was noted that Harry Plaut was absent without notification to the Chairman.

c.      Harbor Master Stipend not paid by DOT Update
Steven Ross reported that the DEEP will compensate Harry Plaut for the 29 days in his first year (2014), and the full second year (2015). This request and approval has gone off to the proper department at the State and a check will be sent to Harry in the near future. He was compensated for 2016 and 2017.  


NEW BUSINESS
Applications for Docks, etc.
a.      Plan review of Dock Standards – 8 years since they were approved
This is a work in progress and discussed earlier in the agenda and to be on the November meeting agenda.

b.      Black Hall River Nav Marker – Notify Coast Guard of Non-renewal of permit
There was a discussion, and it was decided that Robert Falaguerra will notify the Coast Guard that the marker was not in the water in 2017 but will be in 2018 and we will notify them of the coordinates which may have changed due to shifting sand. Harry Plaut will be updated.  Mary Ellen will send a copy of these minutes to Gene at Black Hall Outfitters.

c.      Old Lyme Marina Rebuild and Modifications – Keith Neilson
Discussed earlier in the agenda.

d.      Filbert Application Revision after Review by DEEP – Keith Neilson
Discussed earlier in the agenda.


OTHER BUSINESS
Jeff Meinke was not in attendance, but had emailed this to be discussed.  He suggested the need for a portolet and a garbage can at Pilgrim Landing.  Primarily this would be for the viewing of the swallows season, but Jeff felt it would be a nice feature for the full season.  The Commission felt that the Town would never approve a portolet, and that it was best all round if garbage be brought out by those who bring it in.  


PUBLIC COMMENT - None   


ADJOURNMENT
John MacDonald moved and Ned Farman seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:53 PM.  
SO VOTED.

The next meeting of the HMC will be on November 14, 2017 in the American legion meeting room again.

Submitted by,


Mary Ellen Garbarino (Clerk)


 
 
52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM