Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 03/21/2017
Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
March 21, 2017


Regular Members Present:  Robert Falaguerra, Ned Farman, George Finley, Bill Harris, John MacDonald, Michael Magee, Jeff Meinke (alternate), Harry Plaut (ex-officio), Steven Ross

Absent: Bob Doyen, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Tom Myer

Guests:  Keith Neilson of Docko, David Provencher of Coastline Consulting, Bob and Judy Assellin of Four Mile River Marina

Chairman Steven Ross called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM.  

Alternate Jeff Meinke was seated for Tom Myer.

a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
Ned Farman moved to accept the minutes of Regular Meeting December 13, 2016 and John MacDonald seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
The correspondence will be covered during the agenda.

c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for December 2016 – February  2017  
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for December 2016 through February 2017.  
Beginning Balance:  $22,301.47, Interest / Dividends $29.47, Receipts $550.00, Disbursements: $0, Ending Balance: $22,880.94.  The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

Steven Ross moved and Ned Farman seconded a motion to move Agenda Item Reports d. Matters relevant to HMC at State Level later in the Agenda.  SO VOTED.

Steven Ross thanked those involved for getting the revised Mooring Application and Mooring Inspection forms updated and on the Town Website.

d.      Matters relevant to HMC at State level – Ned Farman
This item will be discussed later in the Agenda.

47 Smith Neck Road for Brault – Dock Application by Docko
Keith Neilson of Docko presented this project with special attention to the revisions requested by DEEP since it was last presented to the Commission.  There was a discussion, and Keith answered questions from members.  Members were concerned about the lighting being appropriate to the area, the type of railing on the dock and the height of the boat lift.  Everyone was satisfied with Keith’s answers and solutions he provided.  George Finley moved to approve the application and sign the Consultation Form for the dock application at 47 Smith Neck Road, stipulating that there are cable railings with a hardwood top rail and that lighting be controlled so that it is on only when needed.  Mike Magee seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

Four Mile River Marina Changes – Coastline Consulting
David Provencher of Coastline Consulting presented a plan for proposed changes to be made at Four Mile River Marina.  This project has already been approved by DEEP, but he is looking for a signed Consultation Form from the Commission.  The changes will be improvements to the present bulkhead system with some small sections added, and vinyl sheeting replacing the existing vinyl sheeting that was not properly installed and is leaning outward. All construction will be done from the land side.  The Commissioners had questions and there was a discussion.  Steven Ross will check with Sue Bailey of DEEP to confirm DEEP approval.   

George Finley moved that the Commission approve the COP for the improvements at Four Mile River Marina as being consistent with our Harbor Management Plan. Robert Falaguerra seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

24 Neck Road for Filbert – Rebuild and Modify Dock by Docko
Keith Neilson of Docko presented plans for a rebuild and modifications of a dock on the Filbert property located at 24 Neck Road. The dock will extend 85 feet out to the edge of the historic channel that goes into Old Lyme Marina. There was a discussion, and the Commission questioned if provisions were made for protecting the pilings from the large debris that floats downriver. There will be a cable rail with a wood top railing, tide slides and power with amber colored lighting and reflective strips will be applied to the outer pilings for navigation safety. John MacDonald expressed that he would like the abutters and Old Lyme Marina to be informed of this project.  Keith stated that this would be part of the public notice process, but he will speak to Old Lyme Marina and the neighbors sooner.  

John MacDonald moved to make a conditional approval of the COP for a rebuild and modifications of the dock located on the Filbert property on 24 Neck Road, prevaricated with Keith Neilson consulting with the abutters and Old Lyme Marina insuring that they have no objections to this application.  With this approval, the Consultation Form would be signed. Ned Farman seconded the motion. There was a discussion. SO VOTED.

REPORTS (moved from earlier in the Agenda)
d.      Matters relevant to HMC at State level – Ned Farman
Ned Farman reported on the SHIPP Program that the CT Port Authority rolled out about a month ago.  They are counting on spending 7.5 million dollars to support projects in the small harbors. Bonnie Reemsnyder is a Commissioner of the CT Port Authority, as she represents one of the small towns on the coast.  Small towns may apply for grant money for harbor improvement projects in the traditional sense.  There was a discussion.

Ned Farman reported on the CHMA meeting at DEEP that he attended along with seven other CT Harbor Management Commission members. The Office of LI Sound Programs has been abolished, and the responsibilities are being transitioned to the Land and Water Resources Division.  Ned reviewed the changes that have been implemented and proposed.  The group was specifically concerned how the transition will affect the relationship between local Harbor Management Commissions and what DEEP does. Ned stated that the subtext of the meeting was “Hey DEEP, we’re still around and we’re aware of what you’re doing, and we will write to State Senator Kennedy and our other elected officials if you don’t adhere to the statutory requirements.”

a.       Member Appointments
There are two current openings for alternate members.

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Mike Magee reported that Bonnie Reemsnyder and Ed Adanti are aware of this Commission’s request for Public Works to clean up and maintain Pilgrim Landing four times a year.  Mike will contact Ed Adanti in May when the clean-up needs to begin.  

Jeff Meinke reported on his efforts so far as in how to approach the idea of an improved boat launching at Pilgrim Landing.  He obtained an application from the DEEP.  There was a discussion, and Jeff will move forward and look for ideas for the best way to proceed.  This Committee consists of Jeff Meinke, Harry Plaut and Mike Magee.

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
Mike Mackey was not in attendance and no report was given.  

d.      Potential Public Access Site West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
Foot bridge across Lt. River - John MacDonald liaison with Halls Road Improvement Committee
        John MacDonald gave a report of the latest meeting of the Halls Road Improvement Committee and then reviewed detailed information that he had collected on types of bridges that might be useful for consideration of a Lieutenant River Recreational Crossing.  The Commission thanked John for his excellent and detailed findings.  

e.      Status of ways to obtain funding for platform and walkway
There was no update.

Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
a.      Status of moorings unclaimed that were pulled in 2013-14 (6 available to sell)
This remains the same.   George Finley has given a list of the moorings to all the beach associations in order for them to relay to their members that these moorings are for sale.  They will post on bulletin boards and in their websites.  Steven Ross stated that it should go on the Town Website closer to summer.

b.      Harbor Master recap of activity since last meeting – Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut reported that on February 6, he attended a meeting set up by the Old Lyme Fire Marshall.This meeting was for~ all town agencies that are involved in the preparation for emergency and disaster situations. The main purpose of the meeting was to identify the people who would be responsible during an emergency.  He learned a lot from the meeting and felt that he made some great contacts.

He also reported that he had been contacted by Point O’Woods Beach that people were fishing off a bridge at POW and that there was an ordinance that prohibited fishing off the bridge.  Since this is a private beach association, this matter should be handled by the association and not the Town.

Applications for Docks, etc.
a.      Consent Order for Black Hall Outfitters – status
Steven Ross reported that he had been in contact with Kevin from DEEP about this matter.  DEEP had sent deadlines to Black Hall Outfitters, one for getting the work done and one for fines to be paid.  Steven will check the status again with DEEP before this Commission’s next meeting.

Jeff Meinke asked if there would be a possibility of putting some type of material in the water to walk on while accessing your boat at Pilgrim Landing to avoid walking on the mucky bottom.  The Commission did not think that DEEP would allow this.


Mike Magee moved and Robert Falaguerra seconded to adjourn the meeting at  8:52 PM.

The next meeting of the HMC will be on April 11, 2017.  

Submitted by,

Mary Ellen Garbarino

52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM