Skip Navigation
 

This table is used for column layout.
 
Harbor Management Commission Minutes 12/13/2016
Meeting Minutes
The Old Lyme Harbor Management Commission
December 13, 2016



ATTENDANCE


Regular Members Present:  Bob Doyen, Ned Farman, George Finley, Bill Harris, John MacDonald, Mike Mackey (ex-officio), Michael Magee, Jeff Meinke (alternate), Harry Plaut (ex-officio), Steve Ross

Absent: Robert Falaguerra, Tom Meyer

Guests:  

Chairman Steve Ross called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.  

Alternate Jeff Meinke was seated for Tom Meyer.


REPORTS
a.       Clerks Report:  Approval of Minutes
Ned Farman moved to accept the minutes of Regular Meeting October 11, 2016 and Bob Doyen seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.

b.      Correspondence
There was no written correspondence to report on, but Steve Ross reported on a conversation he had with Susan Bailey of the DEEP.  Susan Bailey will now be handling enforcement, and Krista Romero will be handling permitting for the Town of Old Lyme.

c.       Treasurer’s Report:  Approval of Report for October / November 2016  
Bill Harris presented the Treasurer’s Report for October / November 2016.  
Beginning Balance:  $22,526.17, Interest / Dividends $14.88, Receipts $50, Disbursements: $289.58, Ending Balance: $22,301.47.  The Treasurer’s Report was accepted.

d.      Matters relevant to HMC at State level – Ned Farman
Ned Farman reported on the State Agency, the Connecticut Port Authority, which was created several years ago, and designed to generate more economic activity at the three major deep water ports (Bridgeport, New Haven and New London).  At that time it was questioned of the CT Port Authority “what about the small and medium sized harbors which generate a lot more GDP than the three deep water ports?”  Jeff Steadman and Ned attended a Port Authority meeting in Middletown last month and got some answers.  

Port Authority will create the SHIP (Small Harbor Improvement Program)
Port Authority projects for 2017 ($21 million)
Housatonic River (Hammonasset Beach re-nourishment) – Major Project
Saybrook North Cove
Mianus River (Geenwich)
New Haven Channel Deepening Study
Next Possible Projects:
SHIP ($7.5 million)
New London Port Study
Fort Trumbull Study
New London Cruise Terminal Expansion Study
New London Fisherman’s Pier Expansion Study


CURRENT BUSINESS
a.       Member Appointments
There are two current openings for alternate members.

b.      Pilgrim Landing – Mike Magee
Possibility of agreement to use adjacent land to increase dinghy racks.
Mike Magee had contacted the Treasurer of the Rock River Homeowners Association that own about 90 feet of property on the water.  Two racks are presently on Town property and the Association has no problem with the Town using some of their land temporarily.  They asked that they get assurance from the Town that they would not be responsible for any problems that might occur.  First Selectwoman Reemsnyder will speak to the Town Attorney about this.  Mike also spoke to First Selectwoman Reemsnyder about his request several months ago for Public Works to clean up the area four times a year.  She stated that in the past the HMC would make a request for work to be done.  If HMC needs to remind Public Works to perform a clean-up then they will, but they would prefer there to be a planned maintenance schedule instead.  

c.      Dinghy Dock – Mike Mackey
Mike Mackey reported that the docks have been removed from the water.  Steve Ross spoke about the budget for next year.  He proposed a request to put $6,000 per year for five years in the Town’s Capital Budget for replacing the docks at Pilgrim Landing.  Steve reported that Dave Peterson, Old Lyme Dock Co., who removed the docks from the water, stated that in his opinion the docks could last at least another ten years if repairs were done.  There was a discussion.  Harry Plaut will contact Dave Peterson and ask him to relocate (flip them over) the docks so that the Commission members could inspect them and consequently get a cost estimate to repair them.  This amount would be placed in the budget request under operating budget for the upcoming year or paid for using HMC funds instead of using Town budget money.  Steve Ross will speak to Nicole at Town Hall about this.

d.      Potential Public Access Site West Bank of Lt. River and Halls Road
Foot bridge across Lt. River - John MacDonald liaison with Halls Road Improvement Committee
John MacDonald reported that he had not yet contacted The Halls Road Improvement Committee, but will in the near future.  John will request that he be notified of their meetings so that he may attend.

e.      Status of ways to obtain funding for platform and walkway
Steve Ross reported that there is no LIS money at the State level.  Steve will call First Selectwoman Reemsnyder and ask her to contact the Port Authority and act as an advocate for Old Lyme in obtaining funding.  The project did make the cut by the Port Authority a few months ago and possibly this would help.  George Finley and Ned Farman will look into ways of obtaining money for the walkway and platform from the Federal Government.  



f.      Election of Officers
There was a discussion.  Bob Doyen moved to re-elect the existing officers to serve in the year 2017.  Steve Ross as Chairman, Ned Farman as Vice-chairman, Mike Magee as Secretary and Bill Harris as Treasurer.   George Finley seconded the motion.  SO VOTED.  Secretary Mike Magee cast one ballot to re-elect the existing slate of officers.  Jeff Meinke seconded.  SO VOTED unanimously.  



COMMITTEE REPORTS
Harbor Master Report Harry Plaut and Mike Mackey
a.      Status of moorings unclaimed that were pulled in 2013-14 (6 available to sell)
This remains the same.  Harry Plaut had given Steve Ross a list describing each mooring and Steve drafted an ad and sent it to Mike Mackey and Harry Plaut for their input.   It was decided to place these moorings for sale on the Town Website and the Beach Associations’ websites.  George Finley will get this ad and a list of moorings to the beaches.

b.      Harbor Master recap of activity since last meeting – Harry Plaut
Harry Plaut reported that he had participated in an Emergency Regional Drill on November 9, 2016.


NEW BUSINESS
Applications for Docks, etc.
a.      Consent Order for Black Hall Outfitters – status
Steve Ross stated that there is no change on this matter.
b.      Form study committee for a Pilgrim Landing dock/launching area structure.
A Committee was formed to look at what could be done to improve the boat launching at Pilgrim Landing.  Jeff Meinke, Harry Plaut and Mike Magee will serve on said Committee.  They will contact the DEEP for advice in moving forward.  

c.      Discuss waiving of permit fees for past members, Harbor Masters, Chairmen
There was a discussion of waiving permit fees for past members, Harbor Masters and Chairmen.  After researching this, it was found that the present policy of the HMC states that actively serving members, including alternates, ex-officio members and the Harbor Master may have their mooring fee waived.  Never was it the policy of the HMC that past members or former Harbor Masters received waived fees.  Steve Ross said that in the past former Harbor Master Brad Ficken was given this by the then present Harbor Master in error.  Ned Farman moved that the HMC keep this same policy, that actively serving members, including alternates, ex-officio members and the Harbor Master may have their mooring fee waived, and to allow Brad Ficken the waiver, since he was given this in the past.  Jeff Meinke seconded the motion.  Motion passed with one objection.


OTHER BUSINESS
Harry Plaut discussed having software that the Commission could use for the management of moorings.  There was a discussion of the advantages of having software specific to this need.  Mike Mackey will look into what is available.

Mary Ellen Garbarino will type up the Mooring Inspection Report and send off to Steve Ross to review.  Presently this report is not showing well on the website and there is no electronic document to be found.

Harry Plaut will send Steve Ross the present State regulations or laws on moorings located in LIS.

Harry Plaut will draft up language about not allowing people to tie up to swim lines at the beaches and distribute it to members for review.



PUBLIC COMMENT – None 



ADJOURNMENT
Bob Doyen moved and Ned Farman seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:39 PM.
SO VOTED.

The next meeting of the HMC will be on March 14, 2017.  There will be no January or February meeting.


Submitted by,


Mary Ellen Garbarino
Clerk



 
 
52 Lyme St, Old Lyme, CT 06371  (860) 434-1605

Town Hall Hours  Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM