Intake for the 81st Annual White Elephant Sale Begins June 29
White Elephant Sale Opens Friday, July 14th
The popular White Elephant Sale (WES) hosted by the Ladies Benevolent Society of the First Congregational Church of Old Lyme is just around the corner.
This 81st annual sale is one of the main events on both the town and church calendars. It all starts with the intake period when you can drop off unwanted items at the church from your house — perhaps your basement, attic or closets — or yard.
Garage, tag and rummage sales may be everyday affairs, but few, if any, can match the size and color of this one. The sale items are organized into some 20 departments that fill the church buildings as well as every available space on the lawn. The WES has grown so large that it has become a true "community event" since many of the donations are from non-church members and quite a number of volunteers are also from outside the church.
The sale raises a significant amount of money for missions and good works both locally and throughout the world. Some of the beneficiaries include food pantries, health organizations, family support centers, children’s programs, literacy volunteers, affordable housing, and disaster relief worldwide.
Mark your calendars now for the dates of this year’s sale. Intake begins on Thursday, June 29, and runs daily from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. through Saturday, July 1. Then there is a break for the July 4th holiday and then intake restarts Wednesday, July 5, and continues through Saturday, July 8. There will also be two evening intake sessions from 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, June 29, and Thursday, July 6.
The sale itself will be held on Friday, July 14, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Saturday, July 15, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Most departments offer items at half-price on the second day.
For more information about the sale or if you would like to volunteer to help in any capacity, whether with intake, the sale itself, or clean-up, call the church office at 860.434.8686 and/or visit www.fccol.org.
See you at The Sale!
Here’s a summary of items that are / are not accepted by the White Elephant Sale:
Items that will GLADLY be accepted
- Antiques, Fine China, Silver
- Appliances, Small (Working)
- Art, Sculpture, Posters, Frames
- Automobiles, Trucks [call church]
- Bedding, Linens
- Boats, Canoes, Kayaks
- Bicycles, Tricycles
- Books: Children’s, Non-Fiction, Fiction
- Child’s, Men’s, Women’s
- Fine, Fashion
- Vintage, Costume & Accessories
- Computer Hardware (working)
- Christmas Decorations
- Curtains, Drapes
- Electronics (Working)
- Furniture, Indoor & Outdoor [call church]
- Gifts, Sundries, Knickknacks
- Jewelry: Costume & Fine
- Kitchen Items (Appliances, Dishes, Cookware)
- Lamps (Working)
- Luggage [soft side or Steamer trunks only]
- Musical Instruments
- Plants, Containers
- Skis – downhill must be “shape” style
- Sporting Goods [good condition]
- Tools (House & Garden)
- Toys, Stuffed Animals
- VHS, DVDs (Family Content)
Items that~WILL NOT~be accepted:
- Dirty or Broken Items or Junk
- Appliances (Large):~
- Air Conditioners~
- Refrigerators & Stoves
- Washers & Dryers
- Bike helmets [used]
- Technical or Textbooks
- Car Seats
- Computer monitors [unless flat screen]
- Luggage [hard sided]
- Fuel cans with Gasoline or Kerosene
- Guns, Knives, Weapons
- Magazines, Newspapers
- Mattresses, and Box Springs
- Particle board furniture
- Sewing Machines
- Skis – old style downhill
- Stuffed sofas / sofa beds
- Treadmills [more than 5-years-old]
- TVs [unless flat screen]