Have you contacted the FRA yet about their proposal for a railroad bypass from Old Saybrook to Kenyon, Rhode Island?
Letters can be mailed to:
Rebecca Reyes-Alicea, Program Manager, Federal Rail Administration
One Bowling Green-Suite 429
New York, NY 10004
You can also pick up a pre-addressed postcard from the
Selectman’s Office in the Town Hall.
Don’t delay – contact the FRA asap!!
Dear Ms. Reyes-Alicea:
I am writing to object to the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS), released on Dec. 23, 2016:
- There has been no study of the potential impacts of the proposed Old Saybrook, CT to Kenyon, RI rail bypass, which could be disastrous to our communities’ natural, historic, and cultural resources. Just the threat of the bypass will continue to cause substantial harm to the towns along its route, disrupting residential, business and real estate transactions. I request that the bypass be removed from the FEIS and that the Record of Decision indicate that the rail route through Connecticut will be determined in the future based on appropriate research and state governmental and public input.
- The FEIS refers to a tunnel in some places and an aerial structure in others. It should be stated unequivocally that, if the bypass is implemented, only a tunnel will be utilized under the Connecticut River and the Old Lyme Historic District.
- The introduction of a tunnel as part of the FEIS is a substantial and material change from the Draft EIS released on November 13, 2015. I believe this significant change should have triggered an additional public comment period to allow me and other residents to provide input.
- No NEC Future public hearings were held in Middlesex or New London Counties. Public hearings should be held where the people impacted by the new bypass live, before selecting or finalizing a preferred alternative.
- The Draft EIS did not even mention that the Connecticut River is a unique and sensitive tidal river estuary ecosystem. I do not believe the FEIS sufficiently characterizes the importance of Connecticut’s most important and defining natural feature.
I support the upgrading of the existing rail, as well as efforts to improve rail in the Northeast Corridor. However, the bypass is not ready to be selected as the preferred alternative and it should be removed from the FEIS.
Town, State, Zip: _________________________________
Email address: ___________________________________ Date: ____________